TOWNSHIP OF LOWER MAKEFIELD

DISABLED PERSONS ADVISORY BOARD MEETING MINUTES

TUESDAY, MARCH 22, 2005

 

A meeting of the Disabled Persons Advisory Board of the Township of Lower Makefield was held in the Municipal Building on Tuesday, †††† March 22, 2005.Chairman Rogers opened the meeting at 7:40 p.m.

 

Those present:

 

COMMITTEE MEMBERS:††††††††††††††††††††††† John McConville, member (absent)

Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary

David Rogers, Chairman†††††

Ann Piccinotti, Vice-Chairman (absent)††††††††††††

Liz Harbison, member

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

OTHERS:†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Scott Fegley, Supervisor Liaison (absent)

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Alex Godun

 

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith moved, Ms. Harbison seconded and it was unanimously carried to approve the February 2005 meeting minutes as written.

 

PROCESS FOR REVIEW OF PLANS

 

Mr. Rogers said the Planning Department has a list of current permits on file.He said he reviewed the list this month and there are only two commercial permits, Villa Rosa and a doctorís office for renovation on file.Mr. Rogers stated he sees a problem with the Villa Rosa renovation at a listed cost of $35,000, which has hand drawn plans.He stated he is concerned about the bathrooms in the Villa Rosa renovation.Mr. Rogers stated the other permit was a doctorís office in Floral Vale.He stated as long as this Board looks at the plans before the certificate of occupancy is issued, changes could be requested.

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith asked if Villa Rosa is putting in a door with a 5-pond pull.Mr. Rogers said the door is not part of the renovation, but the Board could suggest changing out the doors on its visit to the local businesses.Ms. Huchler-Smith asked if a change in a business requires a permit, giving the example of the White Rose to Dunkin Doughnuts on Route 332.Ms. Huchler-Smith said she has lists of businesses in Yardley including schools and churches, which do not have to comply with ADA requirements.Ms. Huchler-Smith said she would address the schools and churches at a later date regardless of the non-compliance imposed on them.

 

Mr. Godun suggested talking to contractors about ADA requirements or give them a packet when they apply for a permit at the Township building.

 

 

 

Disabled Persons Advisory Board Ė March 22, 2005

Page 2 of 2

 

Mr. Rogers said he sent out a letter regarding the Edgewood Village shopping Center about the blocking of the curb cuts and snow removal to the Board to review.The Board discussed how to enforce blocking the curb cuts and made suggestions such as marking the fire lane more distinctly or designate a few existing parking spaces for food pickup.Mr. Rogers stated he would add the suggestions discussed tonight to the letter to Mr. Fedorchak.

 

OLD BUSINESS/NEW BUSINESS

 

The Board suggested talking with the Lower Makefield Township Seniors group, asking churches to distribute information to home bound people and have a table at a community event to get information out to the community about the Disabled Persons Advisory Board and the services it can provide.

 

Mr. Rogers stated he found out the state has cut $600,000 out of its 2006 budget.He said he does not know if that budget cut will affect the proposed Bucks County CIL (Center for Independent Living).

 

Ms. Harbison stated she would contact St. Ignatius Church to get information on how to reach out to homebound people the Board could assist.

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith asked about training in ADA compliance at the April meeting and having the Fire Marshall speak at one of the Boardís meetings.Mr. Rogers said he would contact Mr. Shanburg to ask him to train the Board in ADA compliance at the April meeting and would contact the Fire Chief, Fire Marshall and Fire Safety inspector to see if one of them could speak at one of the Boardís meetings.

 

Mr. Rogers talked about Bensalemís difficulties with getting a Disabled Persons Advisory Board up an running and made the suggestion that disabled boards from other townships get together to brainstorm for the May meeting to assist Bensalemís Board.

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

The Committee scheduled the next meeting for Tuesday, April 26th at 7:30 p.m.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m.

 

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

 

 

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary