TOWNSHIP OF LOWER MAKEFIELD

DISABLED PERSONS ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

TUESDAY, MAY 25, 2004

 

A meeting of the Disabled Persons Advisory Board of the Township of Lower Makefield was held in the Municipal Building on Tuesday, May 25, 2004.  Chairman Rodgers opened the meeting at 7:35 p.m.

 

Those present:

 

COMMITTEE MEMBERS:                        John McConville, member

Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary

David Rodgers, Chairman     

Ann Piccinotti, Vice-Chairman            

Liz Harbison, member

                                                                       

OTHERS:                                                       Scott Fegley, Supervisor Liaison (absent)

                                                                        Bob Shamburg

                                                                       

Mr. Rodgers discussed possible agenda items for the meeting.  He suggested the Board discuss if there are evacuation procedures in place for the disabled in local schools, the golf course and the handicap accessible playground at Makefield Elementary.

 

EVACUATION PROCEDURES FOR DISABLED AT SCHOOLS

 

The Board discussed that they believe many schools do not have evacuation procedures in place for the disabled and agreed that they need to contact Pennsbury School District about implementing a plan if one is not in place.

 

Mr. Rodgers noted that Board of Supervisor Steve Santarsiero formed a Regional Township Committee including the surrounding Municipalities to discuss regional issues.  Mr. Rodgers asked why this Board could not be a part of a regional Board.  Ms. Huchler-Smith moved to invite other local Disabled Persons Advisory Boards to this Board’s regular meeting in the fall.  Ms. Piccinotti seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

 

Ms. Piccinotti moved to invite the local Fire Marshall to the next Board meeting to advise them of fire regulations regarding public buildings and evacuation of disabled persons in schools.  Ms. Huchler-Smith seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

 

The Board discussed having the dates and times of their meetings advertised on the Township Channel.  Ms. Huchler-Smith would e-mail Mr. Fedorchak about the subject.  The Board discussed ways of informing the public about the Board and what the Board’s role is.

 

 

 

 

 

Disabled Persons Advisory Board – May 25, 2004

Page 2 of 3

 

GOLF COURSE CLUBHOUSE

 

Mr. McConville said that he visited the Clubhouse on May 14th with Bill Taylor and the Clubhouse was 80% complete.  The Clubhouse has handicap bathrooms and handicap accessible water fountains.  He noted that the fire alarms did not have flashing lights to alert a hearing impaired person in the event of a fire.  Mr. McConville noted that he would contact Mr. Fegley about the lack of flashing lights on the fire alarms.  Ms. Piccinotti noted that the Fire Marshall would have to inspect the alarms before the Clubhouse could open.  Mr. Shamburg stated that some handicap access may not be wide enough in places such as the bathroom stalls to transfer from a wheelchair to a toilet and that should be checked.  Mr. McConville said that he would make note of that to Mr. Fegley with the fire alarms.  Ms. Huchler-Smith asked how are golf carts accessed by a disabled person if they are on the ground floor off a steep incline and where is chair storage.  Mr. Shamburg suggested that the Board inspect prior to the occupancy permit being issued.

 

Mr. Rodgers said that he sent a letter to Nancy Frick asking her to send plans to the Board to review for buildings that are open to the public.  He said that he has not heard from her yet.

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith said that she would contact Ann Langtry about exposure for the Board in the Township Newsletter.  Ms. Huchler-Smith asked Mr. Rodgers if the Board has a budget.  Mr. Rodgers said that he does not think that they should ask for a budget right now.  Ms. Huchler-Smith asked why do some Disabled Persons Advisory Boards have budgets and some do not.  Mr. Shamburg said that in some cases the Boards need a library for reference.  He said a small budget is a good idea.

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith suggested that the Board ask for the plans for North Park (Memorial Park).  Mr. Rodgers noted that he read in the newspaper that McCaffrey’s might have an upstairs mezzanine within the store for an eating area. He said that he wonders if there will be an elevator.  Mr. Rodgers said that he would ask for the North Park (Memorial Park) Plans.

 

WEB-SITE

 

The Board noted the web-site looks good.  Mr. McConville asked if certain organizations would be linked to the DPAB web-site.  Ms. Huchler-Smith said that she would give Mr. Rodgers e-mail address to Katrina so questions could be forwarded to him.

 

The Board agreed to post approved meeting minutes on the web-site.

 

APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith moved, Mr. McConville seconded and it was unanimously carried to approve the February 2004 minutes as written.

 

 

Disabled Persons Advisory Board – May 25, 2004

Page 3 of 3

 

Ms. Huchler-Smith moved, Mr. McConville seconded and it was unanimously carried to approve the March 2004 minutes as written.

 

Minutes were not recorded for the month of April 2004, as the Board did not meet.

 

OTHER BUSINESS

 

Mr. Rodgers said that he received a letter from Bexley Orchards Neighborhood Watch regarding a legally blind woman in their community.  The Neighborhood Watch asked if the Township could install a light signal at the Oxford Oaks shopping center light for the blind woman as she will be walking to the shopping center more often once the Super Fresh opens.  The Board agreed that Mr. Rodgers would contact Mr. Fedorchak to address the issue.  Mr. Rodgers will call Mr. Andrews of the Bexley Orchards Neighborhood Association to let him know the Board received his letter.  Ms. Huchler-Smith suggested that if the light could not be altered a sign could be installed warning of a deaf person crossing.

 

PRESENTATION BY BOB SHAMBURG

 

Mr. Shamburg distributed information about different organizations to assist disabled persons, polling information on how to select polling places that are handicap accessible, ADA questions and answers, guidelines that would be helpful for the Board.

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

The Committee scheduled the next meeting for Tuesday, June 22nd at 7:30 p.m.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

 

                                                                                   

                                                                                    Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

 

 

                                                                                    Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary