TUESDAY, JUNE 22, 2004


A meeting of the Disabled Persons Advisory Board of the Township of Lower Makefield was held in the Municipal Building on Tuesday, June 22, 2004.  Chairman Rogers opened the meeting at 7:40 p.m.


Those present:


COMMITTEE MEMBERS:                        John McConville, member (absent)

Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary

David Rogers, Chairman     

Ann Piccinotti, Vice-Chairman            

Liz Harbison, member


OTHERS:                                                       Scott Fegley, Supervisor Liaison (absent)

                                                                        Bob Shanburg




Mr. Rogers stated that he spoke with Nancy Frick, Director of Zoning, Inspection and Planning to ask plans were not being sent to this Board to review.  He stated that there was a miscommunication between he and Ms. Frick.  She thought that the Board only wanted to see site plans.  Ms. Frick informed Mr. Rogers that she would send building plans also.  He said they discussed how to get plans to the Board to review and make a recommendation within the 10 day period that Planning only has to review plans.  Mr. Rogers said that Ms. Frick would notify him when plans come in to be reviewed and he will e-mail the Board members to come to the Township Building to review the plans.


Mr. Rogers said that he knows of 3 buildings under construction now – SuperFresh Supermarket, McCaffrey’s Supermarket and North Park (Memorial Park).




Mr. Rogers said that he spoke with Mr. Fedorchak regarding the request from the Bexley Orchards Homeowners Association.  He said the Homeowners Association requested that the traffic signal on Big Oak Road be altered to accommodate a blind woman living in their development who will be walking to the shopping center more frequently now that the SuperFresh has opened.


Mr. Fedorchak informed Mr. Rogers that Big Oak Road is a state highway but the Township is responsible for the traffic signal. Mr. Fedorchak asked Mr. Rogers to send him a copy of the letter and he would inquire into the cost to alter the traffic signal.  Mr. Rogers said that he wrote a letter to Bexley Orchards to inform it that the Township was looking into the matter.  Bexley Orchards gave Mr. Rogers information about a company, Polara that alters traffic signals for disabled persons.




Mr. Rogers said that he spoke with Mr. Fegley about joining up with Bucks County Council for Individuals with Disabilities.  Mr. Fegley said that any affiliation is okay as long as the Township is not committed to anything.


Mr. Rogers said that he contacted Rich Worrell about attending the Disabled Board’s meeting in September.  Mr. Rogers said that Mr. Worrell is out of town.


Mr. Rogers said that he did not get an update about the golf course Clubhouse but he would take a trip to see the Clubhouse himself.


Mr. Rogers discussed with the Board the need to create a reference library for the Disabled Board at the Township Building.  The Board discussed creating a reference section at the Yardley-Makefield Library, keeping the original copy there and keeping a copy at the Township Building.  Ms. Harbison said that she would talk with the Librarian about having an ADA section.  The Board nominated Ms. Harbison as the Librarian for the Board.  Mr. Shanburg said the most important reference materials to have first are the ADAC for reference and ADA law.




Ms. Huchler-Smith moved, Ms. Harbison seconded and it was unanimously carried to approve the May 2004 minutes with changes.




Ms. Huchler-Smith said that Mr. Rogers e-mail address could only be linked by publishing his e-mail address on the web-site.  Mr. Rogers said that was okay.


Ms. Huchler-Smith said other than the web-site, how could the Board involve the Community more in the Board .  Mr. Rogers suggested the Township Newsletter or an article in the Yardley News.  Mr. Rogers said that he would contact Jeff Werner at the Yardley News to ask if he would be interested in writing an article about the Board and how it could assist the community members.


Mr. Rogers said that he wondered how the Board could find out how many disabled people line in Lower Makefield Township.  It was suggested that the Neighborhood watch groups have compiled forms in their neighborhoods asking if disabled persons live in a home for the fire/police records in the event of an emergency to as to get to those people quickly.  Mr. Rogers said that he would contact Chief Coluzzi regarding those forms without encroahing on anyone’s privacy.






The Committee scheduled the next meeting for Tuesday, July 27th at 7:30 p.m. pending agenda items and attendance by the Board members.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 p.m.



                                                                                    Respectfully Submitted,





                                                                                    Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary