TOWNSHIP OF LOWER MAKEFIELD

DISABLED PERSONS ADVISORY BOARD MEETING MINUTES

TUESDAY, JULY 27, 2004

 

A meeting of the Disabled Persons Advisory Board of the Township of Lower Makefield was held in the Municipal Building on Tuesday, July 27, 2004.  Chairman Rogers opened the meeting at 7:35 p.m.

 

Those present:

 

COMMITTEE MEMBERS:                        John McConville, member

Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary (absent)

David Rogers, Chairman     

Ann Piccinotti, Vice-Chairman            

Liz Harbison, member

                                                                       

OTHERS:                                                       Scott Fegley, Supervisor Liaison

                                                                       

NEW BUSINESS

 

Mr. Fegley said that he is a member of the BCCID.   He said the Council is having an awards dinner on October 28th and he invited the Board members to attend the dinner.

 

Mr. Fegley stated that the state has given a $250,000 grant to build a Center for Independent Living in Bucks County.  He stated that the money would be given to the BCCID to build the Independent Center.  Mr. Fegley said that when the money is received, there will be a lot of spin-off work for this Board such as where should the Independent Center be located and what will it include.  The Board discussed the possible roles the Independent Center could provide.

 

Mr. Rogers asked Mr. Fegley if the Board should make a motion stating the Board’s full support of the state grant to build a Center for Independent Living in Bucks County.  Ms. Harbison moved, Mr. Rogers seconded and it was unanimously carried to write a letter of support for the state grant to build a Center for Independent Living.

 

Mr. Rogers asked whom the letter should be sent to.  Ms. Harbison said she would be meeting with Ms. Liberti the next day and would ask her about the details of where to send the letter of support.

 

Ms. Harbison said that she received the first of the reference materials she requested for the reference library the Board was creating.  She said that she would contact Mary Beth States to order binders and a bookcase to hold the materials at the Township building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disabled Persons Advisory Board – July 27, 2004

Page 2 of 3

 

BEXLEY ORCHARDS

 

Mr. Rogers said that he spoke with Mr. Fedorchak regarding the request from the Bexley Orchards Homeowners Association to the Township to alter the traffic signal on Big Oak Road to accommodate a blind woman living in their development who walks to the nearby shopping center.   Mr. Fedorchak said that he spoke with the Township engineers who would provide the Township with a price to alter the light to accommodate a disabled person.  Mr. Fegley suggested if Mr. Rogers does not hear from Mr. Fedorchak, that he request to be placed on the next Board of Supervisors meeting agenda.

 

MEMORIAL PARK PLANS

 

Mr. Rogers said that he and Mr. McConville looked at the Memorial Park Plans and sent a memo to Nancy Frick and Terry Fedorchak with their comments to the plans.  Mr. Rogers said he is concerned that because this board is not on a formal list to review plans, plans that should be reviewed will be overlooked.  Mr. Fegley suggested that Mr. Rogers first ask Ms. Frick to include the Board on the list to review plans and if she objects, then Mr. Fegley suggested the Board ask to be placed on the next Board of Supervisors meeting agenda.

 

OTHER BUSINESS

 

Mr. Rogers said that asked Chief Coluzzi if he could provide the Board with a number of how many people in the Township are disabled.  Mr. Rogers said Chief Coluzzi was very receptive to giving the Board that information and would provide the number of people he has from his records and the Neighborhood Watch Groups as soon as he could.

 

Mr. Fegley suggested having a section on the Board’s web-site asking people if they need information about services for people with disabilities.  Ms. Piccinotti suggested reaching out to the seniors in the area also.

 

Mr. Rogers discussed possible invitees for future meetings.  He suggested inviting the Fire Marshall to discuss evacuation procedures for disabled school students, Jeff Werner of the Yardley News and a member of the Bensalem Disabled Persons Advisory Board to get ideas on how to get their group started.  He would extend and invitation to attend the September meeting.

 

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 

The Board unanimously carried to table approval of the June meeting minutes until the next meeting.

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

The Committee scheduled the next meeting for Tuesday, August 24th at 7:30 p.m.

 

Disabled Persons Advisory Board – July 27, 2004

Page 3 of 3

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

 

                                                                       

                                                                                    Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

 

 

                                                                                    Lisa Huchler-Smith, Secretary