TOWNSHIP OF LOWER MAKEFIELD
PARK & RECREATION BOARD
MINUTES - JANUARY 11, 2000

The regular meeting of the Park & Recreation Board of the Township of Lower Makefield was held in the Municipal Building on January 11, 2000. Chairman Fritchey called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.

Those present:

Park & Recreation Board:

David Fritchey, Chairman
Ron Smith, Vice Chairman
John Kuebler, Secretary
Henry Carpenter, Member
Patricia Martin, Member (joined meeting in progress)
Larry Szarko, Member

Others:

Terry Fedorchak, Township Manager (joined meeting in progress)
Donna Liney, Recreation Coordinator
Grace Godshalk, Supervisor Liaison
Wes Hackman, Supervisor

Absent:

Andrew Newbon, Member

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Mr. Kuebler moved, Mr. Smith seconded and it was unanimously carried to approve the Minutes of December 21, 1999 as written.

REORGANIZATION OF PARK & RECREATION BOARD FOR 2000

Mr. Szarko moved, Mr. Carpenter seconded and it was unanimously carried that the current officers serve for the year 2000.

PROPOSED COMMUNITY CENTER DISCUSSION

Mr. Hackman stated they have decided to expand the size of the proposed Community Center to include an all-purpose room with bleachers and a concession stand, restrooms, and locker rooms. They feel this could be used for all ages with an emphasis on youth activities both athletic and social. He stated this will increase the cost of the previous proposal. Mr. Hackman reviewed the proposed plan for the Community Center.

Mr. Fedorchak joined the meeting at this time.

Mr. Hackman noted Mary Borkovitz has put together a list of approximately fourteen organizations who would be interested in using the facilities, particularly the auditorium.

Ms. Martin joined the meeting at this time.

Mr. Hackman stated he feels this entire facility will get a lot of use.

Mr. Szarko asked about the seating in the auditorium, and Mr. Hackman stated there is permanent seating with a sloped floor. He stated what they are showing is only a preliminary plan so that they can put this matter out to a Referendum. He stated he would like the Board of Supervisors to approve this and they will also discuss the costs. He stated the cost is estimated to be $7.5 million.

Mr. Szarko asked who will oversee this as well as the Golf Course. Mr. Hackman stated the Township will oversee it, and they will have to consider the costs to run these facilities. Mr. Hackman stated he hopes that each of the areas in the Community Center will produce income which will help offset the costs. Mr. Hackman stated he would like to see an organization similar to the way they run the Community Pool which could sponsor various activities at the Center.

Mr. Hackman stated they plan to make the athletic area as all purpose as possible. He stated it will include an all-purpose floor. He noted it could also be used for banquets since there is a kitchen facility.

Mr. Hackman showed the location of the Samost Tract which the Township will take possession of shortly. He noted the location of the Water Company tract and stated they are in discussions with the Water Company as well to consider the possibility of using a portion of that property.

Mrs. Godshalk stated she feels they may want to put the Community Center on Edgewood Road where the baseball fields are currently located and move the baseball fields up near the softball fields.

Mr. Carpenter stated he has received calls from at least ten people who are concerned about the Community Center being located in this area because of existing traffic problems. Mr. Hackman stated they have continually petitioned PennDOT about lowering the speed in this area and perhaps if this facility is constructed in this area, they will agree to do so. Mrs. Godshalk stated if they constructed the Community Center on Edgewood Road, they could make road improvements in the area including turning lanes. Mr. Hackman stated he agrees the building should front somewhere on Edgewood Road. Mr. Fedorchak stated the engineer is working on a site location. He stated he does feel they will have to install a traffic signal at Edgewood and Oxford Valley Roads. He stated once the Community Center is in, they may also want a traffic signal at the entrance road to the Community Center. They should also consider left turn lanes.

Mr. Kuebler stated he prefers this proposal over the previous proposal.

Mr. Szarko asked about the campaign to get the Referendum approved. Mr. Hackman stated they have been meeting with the groups involved. He stated he is also looking to the Park & Recreation Board for involvement.

Mr. Hackman stated the Referendum will take place in April. He stated the Referendum language has been drawn up and the Board of Supervisors will review it at their next meeting.

Mr. Fedorchak stated they are cautiously optimistic that it should cost the average resident $45 per year for the construction and O & M costs. Mr. Smith stated this should be communicated to the residents.


Mr. Smith asked if it would be possible to have a scale model to show the residents, and Mr. Hackman stated while they are not planning this, they will have a more detailed plan available for review. They will also make this available to the various groups so they can show it to their members. Mr. Hackman stated the Township will also do a mailing prior to the Election explaining the proposal.

DISCUSSION OF PROPOSED PAVILIONS AT KIDS KINGDOM PICNIC GROVE AND MACCLESFIELD PARK

Ms. Liney stated the Board of Supervisors approved in this yearís Budget two new pavilions - one at Kids Kingdom Picnic Grove and a second pavilion at Macclesfield Park.

The Park & Recreation Board recommended the pavilion at Kids Kingdom be 30í by 30í and be located between the existing picnic tables. Ms. Liney stated Marybeth Carter of March Associates confirmed this would be the best location, keeping the former kennel area for future expansion. Ms. Carter also recommended a simple style so as not to conflict with design elements already in place. It was the consensus of the Park & Recreation Board that they follow the recommendation of Ms. Carter.

Ms. Liney stated the Park & Recreation Board should make a decision on the type of pavilion they want to recommend for Macclesfield Park. Mr. Fritchey stated he would recommend a second pavilion the same size as the one already at the Park. Mr. Smith suggested it be as far back as possible near the expanded area. Ms. Liney noted they cannot put a permanent structure in the expanded area but they could put it as far back as possible. She noted the location of the existing pavilion on the Plan. Mr. Smith suggested a location south of the mini-fields. Mr. Hackman stated they could consider having two smaller pavilions which would open up more options for locations. Mrs. Godshalk suggested a location adjacent to the parking lot. She asked if they rent out the existing pavilion, and Ms. Liney stated they do not at this time; it is available first come-first served. Mr. Hackman stated the pavilion they constructed cost $40,000 and approximately half of that expense was for the concrete floor. He asked if they could consider having a mulch floor or a paved floor rather than concrete. Mr. Carpenter stated if the purpose is only for shelter crushed stone or mulch would be fine, but if people are going to eat there, they should have concrete. Ms. Liney stated it would be easier to keep it clean if they used concrete. It was the consensus of the Park & Recreation Board that they place the pavilion at Macclesfield Park below Field K and it be a structure similar to the existing pavilion with a concrete floor.

SUPERVISOR LIAISON REPORT

Mrs. Godshalk stated she is pleased to be working with the Park & Recreation Board as their liaison. She noted there have been problems at the Makefield Shopping Center with the street trees and the shopping center trees. She has asked the Code Enforcement Officer to review the Development Agreement.

Mr. Hackman noted the Board of Supervisors voted on proceeding with the Oxford Valley/Roelofs Park building, and they are pushing Mr. Gouza to get the project completed as quickly as possible. Ms. Liney stated she was advised Mr. Gouza anticipates the Notice to Proceed to be given by January 21 and hopes it will be completed by mid-May.

RECREATION COORDINATORíS REPORT

Ms. Liney stated she met with Harris fence to discuss design options for the batters on deck area approved by the Board of Supervisors in this yearís Budget. Harris proposed two eight foot sections to be adjacent to the existing dug-out fence with the fourth side open for entry. A quote will be provided. They will also provide a quote for fencing along Field H and concrete in the dug-out area. Ms. Martin stated she felt Little League did away with the batters on deck circle. Ms. Liney stated this is a safety issue with the organizations so that they are not swinging bats in the open area. Ms. Martin stated in other areas they connect a fence between the dug outs. Ms. Liney stated she would be willing to look at any other solutions. Mr. Kuebler noted PAA has switched to Little League. It was suggested Ms. Liney contact the local Little League representative and ask for their recommendations.

Ms. Liney stated she will be mailing out applications for spring field use by the end of the week. She noted Lower Bucks Lacrosse has already indicated they have an additional six teams, and St. Johnís has made a request for playing times for 5th Grade Girls Softball.

LEAGUE REPORTS

Mr. Smith stated registration is booming for YMS. Mr. Carpenter stated he participated in a charitable function for the Cancer Society with the KIXX and groups of children from YMS played at the Core States Spectrum.

OPEN SPACE DISCUSSION

Mr. Hackman suggested the Park & Recreation Board look at the remaining open land in the Township to see if there is a parcel they would recommend for acquisition for active use. Mr. Fritchey suggested they re-visit the Moon Nursery property which is flat and is irrigated land. Mrs. Godshalk noted there are existing residents in this area who were opposed to development of this parcel.

TOWNSHIP MANAGERíS REPORT

Mr. Fedorchak stated he is involved in the Pennsbury Regional Basketball League and they have an acute court shortage. He stated currently they are practicing in Pennsbury School District facilities. He stated if the Community Center were to be built he would hope there would be time set aside for these types of uses. Mr. Hackman stated they are meeting with some of the groups tomorrow evening, and asked that Mr. Fedorchak have a representative of that group attend the meeting.

Mr. Fedorchak stated they put together a joint application with Yardley Borough for a bikepath from Scammellís Corner down to Lake Afton. He found out yesterday that the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, which is the screening entity for this program, has given preliminary approval for the Grant which is a $500,000 project. He will be meeting with representatives from the Sub-Committee in the next few weeks to discuss taking this to their main Committee. He noted they are in competition with other Townships for this money.

Mr. Fedorchak stated there is a second proposal that was submitted for a T-21 Grant proposal for a bikepath from Oxford Valley/Edgewood Road down Makefield to Yardley/Morrisville to the SEPTA train station. He stated the project also was attached to the TIP Program, and he found out yesterday that the Sub-Committee approved this. This is a $1.5 million project, and they will be looking at this project as well.

Mr. Fedorchak stated he anticipates they will be able to turn on the lights at Field B in time for the baseball season. He stated this is not true for fields E and G. He stated they recently had a meeting with the Township attorney and those involved with the project and will be meeting again in approximately one week. Mr. Kuebler asked about Field A, and Ms. Liney stated Field A was not affected. Mr. Fedorchak stated they estimate the cost to fix the problem to be $50,000.

There being no further business, Mr. Szarko moved, Mr. Carpenter seconded and it was unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 9:05 p.m.