TOWNSHIP OF LOWER MAKEFIELD

PARK & RECREATION BOARD

MINUTES - JANUARY 13, 2004

 

 

The regular meeting of the Park & Recreation Board of the Township of Lower Makefield was held in the Municipal Building on January 13, 2004.  Chairman Fritchey called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.

 

Those present:

 

Park & Recreation Board:        David Fritchey, Chairman

                                                Ron Smith, Vice Chairman (joined meeting in progress)

                                                Patricia Bunn, Member

                                                Henry Carpenter, Member

                                                Andrew Newbon, Member

 

Others:                                     Donna Liney, Recreation Director

                                                Frank Fazzalore, Supervisor Liaison

 

Absent:                         John Kuebler, Park & Recreation Board Secretary

                                                Richard Jutkiewicz, Park & Recreation Board Member

 

 

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 

Ms. Bunn moved, Mr. Fritchey seconded and it was unanimously carried to approve the Minutes of December 16, 2003 as written.

 

AUTHORIZE PREPARATION OF SPECS FOR SLIDE FOR LMT COMMUNITY POOL

 

Mr. Brad Sharp, Pool Manager, and Mr. Ted Wallover, consultant, were present. 

Mr. Wallover stated the slide was budgeted for installation this year, and they would like to

go out for bid.  They are showing three potential locations where they could conceivably

construct the slide.  Mr. Wallover noted one location which would require relocation of the

fence and might also involve work in a drainage swale.  This location would be relatively

close to the existing filter plant which is a source of electricity which is needed to operate

the slide feature.  He feels this location would be the most expensive option and it would

also impact the competition racing in the long course.  He stated it could cost $10,000 to

$20,000 more to choose this location.  From a safety standpoint, he does not feel any

location is stronger or weaker than any other. He stated there will be staff people at the top

and the base of the slide.  Mr. Fritchey asked about the depth of the water.  Mr. Wallover stated the slide would empty into 5’ to 7’ at this location and could only be used by those who are good swimmers.  He does not feel therefore, that this is the correct location for the slide.

 

Mr. Smith joined the meeting at this time.

 

Mr. Wallover stated the possible location shown at the center of the Pool complex does

require minimal grade changes, would permit use by all swimmers because of shallow

water splash down, and requires less concrete.  It would however block the view from the

Manager’s Office.  He stated he would prefer they select the location at the third option

which is the lower site because it does not require demolition and replacement of concrete,

permits use by all swimmers, and has an efficient walk-out area.

January 13, 2003                                                         Park & Recreation Board - page 2 of 6

 

 

Mr. Wallover stated they will be closely monitoring the installation of the slide.  He stated a

number of firms make this type of product. He stated proper winterization of the pumps

will be required and they will also require maintenance.  He noted there is a concrete

component and a mechanical component, and they would prefer to do this as a single

contract as it would give a greater degree of control.  It will also be open to the general

contracting field; but because of the project, they would like to invite certain contractors to

bid as well. He stated they hope to have this out February 1 and start construction March 1. 

Is should be in place by the time the Pool opens. 

 

Mr. Fritchey stated $124,000 was budgeted in Capital Construction, and Mr. Wallover stated he feels this amount is light.  He stated they will bid it as a total package and with alternatives as well.  They hope to build the tower and at least one slide this year.  He does not feel $124,000 is sufficient to cover construction of both slides.  He stated in a subsequent year, they could add the second slide. 

 

Mr. Wallover stated the Township could consider how this slide could bring in additional

revenue.  He would recommend they consider charging for use of the slide.  He stated this

has been done by other pools, and they have been able to pay off the slide in two years. 

Mr. Carpenter asked how this would be administered, and Mr. Wallover stated they could

get a button or wrist band for use of the slide for the day or the season.  He stated he could

find out what the going rates are for this.  Mr. Fritchey asked that he also find out about

volume of usage. Mr. Wallover stated he can guarantee that it will be well used all day.

Mr. Newbon stated when they sent out the survey to Pool Members to see what they would

like to see at the Pool, he does not feel the members anticipated having to pay an additional

fee for use of the slide.  He stated he does feel some additional people may join the pool

because of the slide and they may also get more people coming in to use the pool as a guest

because of the slide. 

 

Mr. Fazzalore stated when they come to the Board of Supervisors with a recommendation

they should include a recommendation on whether there should be an increase in the dues

or if they should charge additional for use of the slide.  Mr. Wallover stated they could include this in the Membership fees with one fee for slide use and one fee for non-slide use.  Ms. Bunn stated as a member of the Pool she would be angry if her child could not use the slide as it was their dues over the years that paid for the construction of this feature. 

Mr. Carpenter stated he personally would be willing to pay a higher membership for

permission to use the slide.  Mr. Wallover stated this is a significant commitment to the

facility, and he does not feel it is out of line to have people pay more to use it. 

Mr. Carpenter stated an annual fee would also be a good idea since those not using this

would be able to pay less than those why are using it. 

 

Mr. Wallover stated the recommended location will not impact anything they may wish to

do in the future with the competition tank and the possibility of enclosing it and making it a

12-month pool.  He stated management will also be able to see the entire site at this

recommended location. 

 

Mr. Sharp stated he would be in favor of the location recommended by Mr. Wallover.

He noted there is a guard stand directly across from this location.

 

Mr. Fazzalore stated while $124,000 has been Budgeted, they could consider going higher

if necessary, within limits, in order to get both slides constructed at this time.

 

January 13, 2004                                                         Park & Recreation Board - page 3 of 6

 

 

Mr. Wallover stated he feels the flume slide would have the most interest although the

speed slide is also fun.

 

Mr. Fritchey moved and Mr. Newbon seconded to recommend to the Board of Supervisors

that they approve preparation of the specs for the slide at the recommended location in the

northeast corner.  Mr. Wallover stated he does not feel they need to get approve from the

Board of Supervisors to prepare the specs since this has already been budgeted.

Mr. Fazzalore stated when the Board of Supervisors approved the Budget, they approved

this item.  Mr. Fazzalore stated he feels the Board must award the bid, but the decision to

proceed is up to the Park & Recreation Board.

 

Mr. Fritchey moved, Mr. Newbon seconded and it was unanimously carried to authorize

preparation of the specs for the slide to be located in the northeast corner as recommended

by Mr. Wallover.

 

Ms. Liney stated the fees could not be adjusted for 2004 as the memberships have already

gone out.   Mr. Fritchey stated they should wait until they see what comes in with regard to

the bids.  Mr. Fazzalore asked what Mr. Wallover estimates the cost would be for the entire

project, and Mr. Wallover stated he feels it would be $160,000 to construct both slides. 

He stated it would be less expensive in the long run to install both at the same time. 

Mr. Fazzalore stated they must remember that the $124,000 being used to proceed with this

project came from the people who were already members of the Pool. 

 

 

RECOMMENDATION ON LMT PARK & RECREATION POLICY STATEMENT

 

Mr. Fritchey stated last year an organization was formed due to an individual wishing to

create his own baseball organization consisting of only seventeen players.  He stated they

did give that group individual permits despite the fact that the organization did not qualify to

be sanctioned.  The individual complained to the Board of Supervisors about not being

given sanctioned status, and he was subsequently given this by the Board of Supervisors. 

Mr. Fritchey stated that individual had a difficult time with his operation and did not come back this year.  Ms. Liney stated while he did not return for the fall, they may still submit an application for the spring.  Mr. Smith stated that individual had promised that he would bring the program back in the fall, and he did not do so.  Mr. Smith stated due to this incident the Park & Recreation Board felt they should re-consider their Policy. Mr. Fritchey stated that individual had no distinction between a travel program and an intramural program and there was also not a boys and girls program as required for sanctioning. 

 

Mr. Carpenter stated he does not feel what happened was necessarily a problem. He stated

he feels there was a group of people who were unhappy with the existing League.  They

tried to start a program and it did not work. He feels the rules that are in existence worked

perfectly.  He stated he feels they should encourage organizations to try to create programs.

Ms. Bunn stated she agrees provided it is a legitimate group with a practical number of

people involved.  Mr. Fritchey stated the Park & Recreation Board did follow the rules; and

while they did not consider that organization to be a League and would not sanction them,

they did give him field time so he could make a go of his operation.

 

 

 

 

January 13, 2004                                                         Park & Recreation Board - page 4 of 6

 

 

Mr. Fritchey distributed proposed changes to the “League or Organization Sanctioning

Rules.”  Mr. Smith noted Item #11 and stated he feels the percentage of residents required

for the travel program should be 65% Lower Makefield Township residents rather than

50%.  Mr. Fritchey stated this varies from sport to sport and the intensity of the travel

program, and he feels 50% is practical.  This will help make the teams competitive. 

Mr. Smith stated a Township such as Lower Makefield should be able to generate a

competitive travel team in any sport with 65% of the players being Township residents. 

 

Mr. Carpenter asked if the purpose of the Rule change is to protect the existing

organizations or to encourage new programs. Mr. Fritchey stated they want to make sure

that someone who is starting a League is serious and not simply doing so in order to be

able to coach their own child and as a result take a significant amount of field time away

from organizations that have been in effect for many years and service a large number of

players.  Ms. Liney stated this change would not stop them from getting field time even if

they are not sanctioned.  Sanctioning means that you get priority on fields. 

 

Mr. Fazzalore asked how they monitor residency; and Mr. Fritchey stated the organizations

must submit rosters, and they are dependent on the good faith of the League on the

accuracy of the rosters.

 

Mr. Smith stated he feels if you are going to apply for sanctioning status, they should give

the Park & Recreation Department a reasonable amount of time and not come in just prior to

the start of the season when fields have already been allocated and expect changes to be

made to accommodate your organization.  He feels there should be a date by which they

should submit for sanctioning.  Ms. Liney stated they do try to work with the individuals

and since they are volunteers they are trying to work with them and will try to fit them in

where possible.

 

Mr. Newbon asked if they should add non-sanctioned organizations may apply for field

permits, and Mr. Fritchey stated he feels this is implied; and Ms. Liney does try to fit

people in where there is space available. Mr. Newbon suggested they include a note

indicating Sanctioning means you get priority as to field use. 

 

Mr. Smith moved and Ms. Bunn seconded to recommend to the Board of Supervisors that

they consider and pass the proposed changes to the League and Organization Sanctioning

Rules forthwith.  (Copy attached to the Minutes).  Motion carried with Mr. Carpenter

opposed.

 

Mr. Fritchey stated he feels they should also review the Rules and Regulations to see if

anything should be changed and make a recommendation on this to the Board of

Supervisors as well.  Mr. Fazzalore suggested that they send all recommended changes to

the Board at the same time.  It was therefore decided to hold off submission of the

Sanctioning changes at this time.  This will be held for submission until the next meeting to

give the Park & Recreation Board the opportunity to review the Rules and Regulations.

 

 

DISCUSSION OF SNIPES TRACT

 

Mr. Smith introduced Michael DiMaio, Coach of YMS and Facilities Director.  Mr. Smith

stated there has been discussion about the Snipes tract and he noted the e-mail sent to

Ms. Liney last evening on this matter. 

January 13, 2004                                                         Park & Recreation Board - page 5 of 6

 

 

Mr. DiMaio stated he has lived in the Township for ten years and been involved in a number of sports organizations, the last six years with YMS.  His latest position is Fields

Coordinator, and he is working with Ms. Liney.  He stated there have been concerns

expressed about overuse of Macclesfield Park, and the prospect of using Snipes has been

discussed for some time.  He stated he has agreed to be the “point man” for YMS with the

Township regarding discussions as to what could be done at Snipes.  He stated they would

like to help with the planning if possible. He noted he does have a planning background

and could help the Township in this way. He is not sure how the funding of getting plans

drawn would work.  Mr. Fritchey stated they have had discussions about this tract for

some time.

 

Mr. Fazzalore stated he personally will not vote in favor of development of any other Parks

until they take care of the Seniors.  He stated the Seniors represent 18% of the Township’s

population.  He stated he would be in favor of borrowing $5 million to build Park facilities

and a Senior Center.  Mr. Newbon stated he did not feel the plan was to build a park at

Snipes, but was simply to lay out some fields with little work involved. Mr. Fazzalore

stated this was already approved some time ago.  He stated he has seen children playing on

the Snipes Tract.  He noted the Fire Station is going to be constructed at Snipes so that

portion of the ground would not be available for field use. 

 

Mr. Smith stated planning for Memorial Park is still continuing.  Mr. Fazzalore stated all

they have approved is the road into the facility up to the Memorial.  He stated the Township

does not have any additional money and anything they do they will need to borrow money.

He stated he will not agree to borrow money for operations.  Mr. Fritchey stated the Park

& Recreation Board is on record as being in support of a Senior Center. 

 

Mr. Smith asked if they could not proceed with planning for Snipes, and Mr. Fazzalore

stated he has no problem with this. He stated he read that YMS is willing to build Snipes,

but it would then be restricted to use by YMS.  Mr. Smith stated they would like to have a

soccer facility, but this does not mean it would be used solely by YMS.  Mr. Fazzalore

stated he feels Snipes has been considered all along as substantially a soccer facility. 

Mr. Fritchey stated they have also considered a possible skate facility in this location as

well.  Mr. Smith stated if YMS had the ability to pay for and build the Park, they would

like to have exclusive rights to the facility. He feels the organization would be very happy

to have it a soccer-only facility as is seen in other Townships. 

 

Ms. Bunn stated they will not be getting public restrooms from the Fire Station at Snipes. 

Mr. Smith stated they would still like to see what the impact would be on the site with the

construction of the Fire Station.  Ms. Bunn stated last January PCS showed a Plan, and

that is what is being built.  Ms. Bunn stated she feels they need to call a Sub-Committee

meeting and review the Plans that were previously discussed.  Ms. Liney stated she does

have the information from PCS which indicated the amount of acreage needed for certain

pieces such as the realignment of Dolington Road, etc.  Ms. Bunn stated she feels some

of the road improvements will be done once the Fire Station is under construction. 

Ms. Liney showed the Plan which was prepared.  She stated PCS feels approximately 30 acres will be available after the Fire Station and right-of-way is completed.  Mr. Fritchey stated this is a substantial area that could be used by younger players and relieve pressure on Macclesfield Park. 

 

Mr. Newbon stated he feels Mr. DiMaio should be added to the Snipes Sub-Committee.

Mr. Smith stated they will schedule a Sub-committee meeting for Snipes in February.

January 13, 2004                                                         Park & Recreation Board - page 6 of 6

 

 

Mr. DiMaio asked if a representative from PCS would be present, and it was noted they

would.  Mr. Smith stated Ms. Langtry was also present because of the proximity of Elm

Lowne.  Mr. Fazzalore stated they are going to be public sewers when the Fire Station is

constructed, and they will sewer Elm Lowne as well.  Mr. Fritchey stated they will also

have to get the area residents involved.

 

 

SUPERVISOR LIAISON REPORT

 

Mr. Fazzalore stated during the year the Board of Supervisors will most likely consider

changing their meeting night from Monday to Wednesday because so many Holidays fall

on Monday.  This would not take effect until 2005. 

 

 

RECREATION DIRECTOR’S REPORT

 

Ms. Liney stated she is in the process of issuing the required paperwork for upcoming

purchases and projects which were approved in the Operating Budget.  All 2003 summer

programs have indicated they will return this year, with several expressing an interest in

expanding their offering.  The Township will enroll all Park Board members in the PA

Park & Recreation Society for 2004.  Ms. Liney stated Park & Recreation will continue to

provide support in the coming months to insure the successful start up of the Township

Pool as well as ongoing support to the Five Mile Woods Preserve.  Ms. Liney staed she is

continuing to track Phase I Memorial Park Garden of Reflection project.  The Township is

scheduled to appear before the Zoning Hearing Board next Tuesday requesting a Variance

to construct the roadway entrance and portion of a detention basin berm within the wetland

buffers for Memorial Park, and she will be attending that meeting.

 

 

REORGANIZATION OF PARK & RECREATION BOARD FOR 2004

 

Ms. Bunn moved, Mr. Newbon seconded and it was unanimously carried to elect David Fritchey as Chairman, Ron Smith as Vice Chairman, and John Kuebler as Secretary of the Park & Recreation Board for 2004.

 

 

There being no further business, Ms. Bunn moved, Mr. Newbon seconded and it was unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 9:35 p.m.

 

                                                                        Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

 

 

                                                                        David Fritchey, Chairman